She's singing, "baby, come home" in a melody of tears, while the rhythm of the rain keeps time

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

3-7: Someday

-------------------

-You need to come to Blake's house. Now.

No fucking around, vampire.-

Apollo squinted at the text, having to read it twice before it registered. He was drunk, but not drunk enough that he couldn't read. Drinking in the middle of the day wasn't a good idea, but when his body chose to wake him up three hours before he was used to, it was his only option.

Or so he'd convinced himself.

Harpia had nothing to do with it.

They'd hung out since they'd had sex. A few times. It hadn't been awkward, but it had been different.

And he couldn't shake the feeling of the way she touched him off of his skin.

-Alright, guess I'm walking.-

-Why....?-

-I'm drunk.-

A few minutes passed before Hale sent another text.

-It's ten AM, asshole.-

-It's five o'clock somewhere.-

-You're an idiot. I'll be there in ten minutes. Wait outside.-

Apollo slid his phone into his pocket, draining his drink and setting the cup on his living room table. His vision was slightly blurry, but he made it to the door, leaning against the brick wall when he was outside.


Hale's Ferrari shined so brightly in the sunlight, Apollo had to squint as he walked over to it. Hale had pulled so close to the house, he was within inches of the front window. Apollo slid into the passenger seat, looking over at his best friend.

"You keep parking in the grass like that, and my mom is gonna kill you."

"Nah, your mom loves me."

He looked Apollo over and shifted into reverse, throwing him a single glance. And a single word.

"Harpia?"

Apollo groaned, rubbing his face with his hands.

"No."

"Liar."

Hale turned onto the road, driving way too fast on the empty Riverview streets.

"What happened? You haven't talked to me in a few days, so my assumption is it has something to do with her."

Apollo drummed his fingers on his knee, wanting to avoid the subject altogether.

"I fucked her. And she's in love with me."

Hale took his eyes off the road in surprise, swerving to the side to avoid a dog when he looked back.

"That's... new."

Apollo shrugged, the rhythm he was keeping on his knee not faltering with the fact that Hale had almost wrecked his expensive car.

"She asked me if I loved her too."

Hale shook his head.

"And what did you say?"

"That I didn't know."

Hale pulled into Blake's driveway, sliding cleanly between Paige's Range Rover and Blake's Jeep.

"Once again, liar."

Apollo rolled his eyes, shoving the door open and climbing out.

"You don't know what the fuck you're talking about."

The driver's door slammed behind him, but he heard what Hale said.

"Neither do you."

---------------------------

"Is Vega always going to be late? I know there aren't any fucking cats here."

Apollo could tell by Blake's tone that he was frustrated. Probably with multiple things. Apollo being wasted when he arrived being one of them.

But he was sober now. Or very close to it. 

Because Vega still hadn't shone. And it had been two hours. Apollo's blood burned through the alcohol faster than someone who was only human.

The door to Blake's house opened and Vega came inside, his eyes bloodshot.

They all stared at him, Paige scoffing under her breath.

"Are you high?"

She said the words, even though it was obvious to all of them that she didn't need to. Vega collapsed on the couch next to her, and she recoiled into Blake's shoulder, moving onto his lap.

"A little!"

Paige wrinkled her nose, looking down at Blake before directing her attention onto Hale as he sighed.

"Can we talk, now?"

Apollo glanced at him, wondering exactly what the fuck was so important that he couldn't say unless they were all there.

"Fucking speak, Dalton. We're all here now."

"Alright, alright. Try to sound a little more excited, bat boy. This is good news."

Hale pulled his cell phone out of his pocket, reading off of the screen in a dramatic voice.

"Hello, Mr. Dalton.

We have reviewed your band's demo that you sent to us. Mr. Hampton is definitely interested in your sound, and would like to see you July 15th for a meeting.

We will be sending you more details later this week.


Congratulations!

and then some random chick's name I don't care about."

He looked up at his three band mates, waiting. 



It took a few moments, but it hit all of them in succession.

Apollo's eyes widened and he got to his feet, grabbing the phone out of Hale's hand.

"Is this legit?"

Hale nodded, taking the cell phone back, glaring at him.

"It is. She called me this afternoon with the address, exact date, everything."

He put his cell phone in his pocket, pulling a small baggie out when he was done.

"Looks like we're going to Hollywood, assholes. And if we're signed, we'll be moving there to record.

Told you this was important."

He sat down on Blake's couch, preparing a thin, white line on his coffee table.

But Blake was too busy kissing Paige, talking about their future, to say a word.

Apollo could feel the adrenaline rushing through his veins, but something else was right there on the edge of his conscious.

Harpia's eyes when he'd mentioned leaving at all.

He'd slept with her four days ago... And now he was going to be leaving? 

And he didn't even know for how long.

He got to his feet, and the other three guys looked at him in surprise.

"Where are you going?"

Hale rubbed his nose with his hand, his voice loud.

"I have to tell Harpia."

Paige exchanged a look with Blake, her expression falling. Like she had forgotten about that tiny detail.

"I need someone's car.

No longer drunk. Swear."

Hale didn't even hesitate. Probably because he was now too high to give a damn. He pulled his keys out of his pocket, tossing them to Apollo.

"Have fun, Loverboy. Good luck."

Paige nodded once, pressing her face against Blake's chest.

"Yeah. You're going to need it."

----------------------------

Apollo glanced down at his phone before shutting off the engine to Hale's Ferrari outside Harpia's house. He probably should have not told her face to face. What if she cried? What did he do then? He sucked at emotions. Especially coming from her.


The car door shutting behind him echoed in the night air like a gunshot, and if Harpia's dad was here he'd probably be pissed that Apollo was there so late at night.


Not that it had stopped him a few nights before... 


He pressed the doorbell once, running his hand through his hair while he waited for her to answer.


He was fully prepared to fuck up this entire... whatever the fuck it was... in one go. Because something told him she wasn't going take this well.


Whether it was his dream or not, he'd told her he wouldn't leave her behind. 


So I guess that I'm a liar.


When she opened the door, she had a smile on her face. But Apollo was fairly sure that it wouldn't last very long.

"Hey."

She hesitated for a second, and then came forward. She pressed upwards, touching his lips with hers. It was brief, but it did enough to him that he felt guilty all over again. He put his hands on her hips, holding her closer than he should,  looking down at her eyes.


"Harpia, I have a meeting in Los Angeles with a record company. On Tuesday."

Her reaction was instant, excitement clear in her voice.


"Polly!"

She squealed, tightly wrapping her arms around his neck and pulling him into a tight hug.


 "This is fucking awesome! I'm proud of you!" 


It only took a few seconds for the smile to fade from her lips as she looked at him.

 She stared at him for a moment longer, her grip lessening little by little.


She pulled away and tilted her head to the side, looking him straight in the eyes. 


"Why aren't you excited? Isn't this what you wanted?"


He cleared his throat, looking away from her and down at the floor. He was still touching her, and it was worse now because she was excited and he didn't want to take that from her.

"It's exactly what I wanted. Since I was nine years old. But if we get this deal..."


You can't break this easy. It doesn't work like that. 


"We're gonna move out there while we record. And I don't know how long that'll take."


Music was what he'd worked his entire life for. But Harpia was also what he had known his entire life. He hadn't planned on sleeping with her. He hadn't banked on adding an extra complication to whatever they had. 


He should have kept his distance. But he didn't. And it was too fucking late now.


She pulled away from him slowly, bringing her arms back down to her sides, and the way she stiffened was obvious.


But her eyes never left his.

"Oh..."


 It was a whisper, almost inaudible.


Apollo dropped his hands to his side as she had done, curling them into fists out of habit.

"I'll be back, Harpia. Even if we get the deal and go for a while, I told you I'd always come back for you, and that wasn't a lie."


She cleared her throat, her deep green eyes finally leaving his. She turned her head away, and it took everything he had not to touch her again.

"You won't come back."


Her voice broke, and it was clear she was almost in tears.


"You'll get big. You'll forget about this town... and me."


For a second, the only response he could manage was to stare at her. She couldn't actually be serious?

"You think that even if our band managed something like that, that if we actually became something, I would just forget everything I have here?


Especially you?


I'd like to know exactly who you think I'd become?"

Harpia scoffed and turned her head forward again, her harsh gaze piercing into his.

"And how can I even believe that?"


She let out a frustrated groan and shook her head, backing up a few steps. 


"You can't even say you love me, Apollo. I poured my heart out to you, and you can't even say it back. So how the hell am I supposed to believe that you'll come back for me?"


Apollo shoved his hands in his pockets, anger finding its way into his eyes too.

"I will come back. You can either believe me, or not. But it's not a lie."


She crossed her arms over her chest, her voice reflecting the emotion in her eyes.

"Just get the fuck out of my house. 


You told me what you had to tell me, so leave."


She tried to walk away, but he put his fingers around her arm, turning her back to face him.


"What do I have to fucking do, Harpia? To get you to trust me?

Why are you freaking out?"

Her eyes were daggers, and she yanked her arm away from him, backing up even more. 

"Don't fucking touch me, Apollo. I told you to get out of my house!"


Apollo's voice rose like hers had, his tone cutting the air between them.

"Stop yelling at me, Harpia."


He tried again to touch her, but she shoved his hands away from her, choking on every word she gave him. She'd backed up so much, she was pressed against the front door of her house.


"I told you not to fucking touch me.


Why don't you just do me a favor and not promise me anything, anymore. 

I'm fucking sick of hearing it! 


If you promised you wouldn't leave, how am I supposed to believe you're coming back? 


Do I honestly really even mean anything to you, Apollo? 


Because it's pretty damn convenient that we just had sex and now you're leaving. How long have you known you were leaving? Were you just not going to tell me until after you slept with me?"


Apollo's fist collided with the door behind her before he could think to stop himself. 

He snapped, and he did it a lot. But never in front of her. Never this close to her.


He shook his hand out, narrowing his eyes as he looked down at her.


"That's exactly what it was, right? I would do something like that. Cause I'm a cold hearted asshole who can't feel shit. Especially not for you. Why would I be stupid enough to try and convince you that I care about you? You don't think anyone does.


I'm wasting my fucking time. And yours."


She didn't back down, didn't even react visibly to what he'd just done to her front door.

"No one fucking cares about me, and God, I was so fucking stupid to even think that you did, too."


 Hot, angry tears began rolling down Harpia's cheeks as she continued to glare at him. 

"Leave my fucking house. Go to LA,  become a famous rockstar and overdose on cocaine for all I fucking care. Just fucking leave me already like everyone else does."


Apollo clenched his jaw, dropping his eyes to the floor. He was pissed off, and it was running through his veins like fire. He needed to calm down, before he punched something else.

He brought his eyes back to her face slowly, releasing his hands from the fists they'd found their way into again.


"If you tell me to go, one more time, and you actually mean it, I'll do it.


You don't want me here, that much is clear. And I won't be the one to force you to be around me.


I'm not Dean. I don't see you as my property. I don't see you as dispensable. But if that's what you want to believe, I guess I have to let you."


Her eyes softened noticeably, her voice too. Tears continued to fall from her eyes, but all of a sudden they seemed different.

She spoke quietly, her words fading out at the end.

"I don't want you to leave.

But if you have to go, you have to go."


The silence that followed her words stretched, weighing heavy on the air that had been heavy with anger moments before. The anger disappeared from his chest as he looked at her, the sudden vulnerability in her eyes pushing at his chest. She dropped her eyes from his face and it didn't take much more than that for him to close the distance between them. 



He brushed the tears off of her cheeks with his thumb, lifting her face to look at him again. He paused for a second, and then bent to touch his lips softly to hers.

He pulled away after a few seconds, looking down at her.

And he left his hands right where they were. 


"I'm sorry."


She reached and placed her hands on top of his, lowering them to her side, looking up into his eyes. 


"I'm sorry, too.


But you should go..."


Her voice was broken. And it didn't sound like she really meant it.


He knew it. But he still listened to her.


He didn't want to leave. He didn't want to do this. He wanted this contract, he wanted the music. But some part of him wanted her too.


But this was his one chance.


And he had to take it.


So he would.


He removed her hand from his, looking over his shoulder at her as her front door closed the moment he stepped out.

She wasn't looking at him in that last moment, and for once, he was glad that she hadn't been.
------------------------------

(AN: The final scene of this chapter was written with my Anna bby. She wrote Harpia's parts and is the writer of This Little Bluebird, and also Harpia's creator.

You can read her legacy here ^.^)

Someday, somehow
I'm gonna make it alright but not right now
I know you're wondering when
You're the only one who knows that
Someday, somehow
I'm gonna make it alright but not right now

4 comments:

  1. ayyyyye *tries to slide in and trips*
    ...ignore that
    anyway
    HEYHEYHEY
    Babies getting noticed, usually a good sign
    Tearful parting, always a 'fuck me, more emotions are coming my way' sign
    But you're a survivor (no, I'm not singing...today.)
    And I do love Harpia a lot more.
    Still keeping my reasons for loving Apollo and everyone else secrets (because you do have secrets, more than a few let's be real here), but I also have secrets.
    And suspicions...
    :3
    Anyway, amazing update and thank you for surviving through this for us. <3
    ~sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are the epitome of adorable, oh my god.

    And I have no idea what you're talking about. I have no secrets. And I want to know your secrets but I'm hoping you will reveal them as the legacy continues because I swear to God, Sam. This isn't fair >_>

    Thank you so much by the way! And I'm so glad I survived and have as much time as I do to work on this before going back to hell.

    Much love, doll.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. As usual,your update has left me speechless. They finally got signed! Buttttt the last scene got me. I love Apollo and I think this is going to be a really good generation. I feel like something big is about to happen. All of the characters are awesome but I want to know more about Vega. Congratulations on getting out of hell lol. Great chapter as always.
    -Carley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much oh my god!! I appreciate that so much ;-; I hope you think it's a good generation because it's a fairly long one ;-;

    I am so happy that you love the characters. All of them in this generation are super special to me. (Not that they all arent in every generation but gen three is one of my favorites.)

    And Vega is my little ball of sunshine ;-; You see more of him soon!

    And yes. No more hell for me. Not for 26 more days anyway >_>

    ReplyDelete