She's singing, "baby, come home" in a melody of tears, while the rhythm of the rain keeps time

Saturday, November 28, 2015

2-3: Boston

You don't know me, and you don't even care
....
You don't know me, and you don't wear my chains



------------
The stage lights burned brighter than any fire Rain had ever encountered. It burned her eyes, her skin, she could feel it in the tips of her fingers. She often wondered if it was all in her head. If she only felt the way that she did because she knew it had to matter... Or something imaginary like that. 

Either way, by the end of the performance, Rain's cheeks were flushed and she felt like she'd been bathing in heat.

She took her final bow with the rest of the people on stage and exited to the left, almost colliding with a guy who was barely taller than she was.

Not as tall as Ryan.

What? No. Why would he even be in her head? She hadn't thought about him all night, and she didn't want to start now. All he did was confuse her.


The smile stayed plastered on her face as she looked up at the guy, 'I'm so sorry' leaving her lips in a rush. She felt foolish all of a sudden. Dressed up in her performance outfit.

He put a hand on her arm gently, steadying her in her stance. Which wasn't exactly needed, because Rain had the balance of a ballerina. She could walk a tightrope. 


He removed his hand, stuffing it into his pocket. The way he looked at her before he spoke made her nervous, but it was a good nervous. The kind that you get right before you receive an award, or in her case, before she went on stage.


"No need to apologize. My name is Hawthorne Campbell, and I've been watching you."

His voice was thick with a British accent and Rain raised an eyebrow for just a second, folding her hands together in front of her. She was covered in heat still, her body desperately begging for a shower and a bed. She tilted her head to the side though, her smile genuine.

"I don't know if that's a good thing, or a bad thing."

He laughed, and it was melodical and charming. The kind of laugh you hear in movies. His eyes sparkled and she couldn't seem to look away from them as he spoke. Like a moth drawn to a flame.

"I'm sorry. That was probably an awkward way to introduce myself."

He held out his hand and Rain took it hesitantly, still not quite sure what was going on.

"My parents own The Royal School of Ballet in London, and I was sent here because they've heard about you. Your instructor has high hopes for you, and I can see why.

If you're interested in attending next fall, I think that I can safely say your spot is secure. After you audition, of course. But I don't even think that that is needed for anyone to see that this is your talent."

 Rain's entire face lit up. So many emotions went through her chest at once, she almost couldn't find breath to respond. How could she even get that lucky? A scout actually looking for her from her dream school? It was close to impossible...

"What? Really? Of course I am!"

Hawthorne pulled a piece of paper out of his pocket, and she took it with trembling hands, her smile even wider than it had been before.

"We look forward to seeing you then."



She thanked him profusely, turning to try and run to tell Nash what had just happened when she, once again, almost collided with another tall form.

"Ryan. Hi."

She was visibly flustered, and she looked up at him with a smile that wasn't even meant for him, but he returned it in seconds.

"Hey, Rain.

You looked beautiful up there."

There was that word again... She was almost convinced that Ryan was blind as a bat at this point. 

"I... thank you. It's what I love to do, so I hope that you enjoyed yourself at least a little bit."

Ryan shrugged a shoulder. 

"Rae dragged me here, but really the only thing I liked about this whole thing was seeing how happy you looked. You were glowing."

Rain blinked, biting down on her lip and clutching the piece of paper tighter in her hand.

"You say that like I'm the sun. Stars glow, not people."

Ryan surveyed her appearance, directing his eyes behind her to the stage after a few seconds.

"Maybe you are a star. It would make sense. You light up everything around you."

She was flattered, and she was nine hundred percent sure it showed in her cheeks. Just as it always did.

"You and your words. Are you always this charming?"

He laughed his infectious laugh and looked back at her, nodding once.

"I don't know if you'd call it charming. I'd call it charismatic."

"I can see that too."


Ryan seemed to hesitate for a second, his eyes finally settling on the paper on her hands. He didn't acknowledge it, though. Instead he caught her off guard completely with what left his mouth.

"What are you doing Monday night? Do you wanna hang out?"

Rain felt her heart rate increase in a moment. But she couldn't help but smile.

"What? Like a date?"

Ryan shook his head quickly, his eyes widening.

"No. No, no, no.

I'm 8 years older than you, and you're seventeen. That's not something I'm sure anyone would be okay with. I just meant like... hanging out as friends."


Rain shifted her weight, finally procuring a smile.

"Okay. After practice?"

He brightened, his smile huge.

"Awesome! I'll pick you up?"

Rain bounced in her stance, nodding. She gave him a tiny wave, rushing past him to look for Nash. But when she looked over her shoulder once she found her, Ryan was still looking her way. 

That same smile still in place.
-------------

"No, no. Rain. London?"

Xavier leaned against the side of the couch, rubbing his face with his hands. He didn't seem to want to listen to any reason that Rain tried to throw his way. The moment he heard about where the ballet school was located, he shook his head vehemently. 

"I didn't know you were even attempting to get into a school that far away, or I would have already told you that it was off the table."

He approached where she was sitting on the couch and knelt down at her level, putting his hand over hers.

"Rain... Do you realize how far away London is from California? Do you realize how much I, nor anyone else, can protect you there? You'll be alone, on your own, with no one to turn to."

Rain pulled her hand out of her dad's grip and dropped her eyes to the floor, letting out a loud exhale before speaking.

"Dad... You're letting Storm go all the way to New York. I'm not seeing much of a difference here. Besides the fact that I'm the youngest daughter and she's the oldest."

And she always gets whatever her heart desires.

Xavier sighed, shaking his head. He stood up straight, peering down at Rain with a look in his eyes she was all too accustomed to seeing. Disappointment.



"New York is in the United States. It's not across an ocean, and Storm has always known exactly what she is doing with her life. She can protect herself."

Rain's mouth dropped open and she got to her feet, pushing her fingernails into her palms at her side.

"And I can't?! Why is she so capable of it, but you think that I'm not?"

Xavier shook his head quickly, and Rain caught a flash of something in his eyes. The only way he ever showed emotion. Ever since she could remember, her dad never lost his cool about anything. He was a walking, talking, self control robot.

"Rain... You're seventeen. Storm is going to be twenty one. It's different."

Rain felt the tears sting at her eyes, and she turned her head away so her father wouldn't see them.

"It's not different. I'm going to be eighteen before I ever even leave. I'm not a child. I'm not weak or naive. I can handle it."

Xavier reached towards his daughter as if to comfort her, but Rain took a step to the side.

"I'm sorry, Rain. My answer is no. I won't pay for this, and I can almost guarantee that your mother will agree with me."

When she finally met her dad's eye contact, the tears on her face were more than evident.

"It's not fair. It's not fair that my big sister can follow her dreams, and I'm never allowed to.

It isn't fair that you don't trust me. It isn't fair that you think that I am incapable of making these kinds of decisions for myself.

And it isn't fair that you talk to me like I'm so far beneath Storm and Thad because I'm not academically secure.

This is all that's left for me. This is what I'm good at.

I don't understand why you'd take that away from me."

She pushed past her father, ignoring whatever words he was speaking and headed for the stairs to her room. She had no idea what she was supposed to do. 

Her dream had just dissolved to pieces in her hands. Like dust in the wind.

It was over before it even began.
--------------


Rain's knocks echoed in the air, and a cat sitting on a rock outside of Ryan's house looked up at her in disdain. Like she was interrupting its peaceful reverie of felineness. She bit down on her lip and nodded at the animal, like somehow it would be able to acknowledge that she didn't mean to disturb it. She never meant to disturb anything, and somehow she always did.

The cat yawned, turning its face away, as if Rain never bothered it at all.



Rain had almost forgotten all about hanging out with Ryan with everything that had happened earlier. She hadn't even went to practice... For the first time in seven and a half years. She was too busy crying and feeling sorry for herself.

But, for some reason, she thought that maybe Ryan would help her get her mind off of it. At least maybe make her laugh.

When he opened the door, he looked equal parts sleepy and surprised.

"Rain? Why aren't you at practice?"

She paused for a second, shifting her weight and folding her hands in front of her.

"I didn't go... Can I come inside?"

The surprise on his face doubled, but he nodded and stepped aside so she could enter.

Rain looked around the room, trying to think of something to say. She didn't even know what they were supposed to do. She had no idea how she could have any kinds of fun, and also, she highly doubted their ideas of fun were the same thing...

Ryan shut the door softly behind her, and when she turned to face him, his surprise had turned into something closer to confusion.

"Are you okay?"

He approached her hesitantly, taking her hand for just a second. He led her towards a plushly decorated living room, tossing a pillow off of the couch so she could sit on it. She'd seen the living room a few times. At family gatherings. But for the most part, when their families had gotten together, it was at the Simon's house.

When she sat down, he let go of her hand, but she still didn't know how to answer. Most of the people she knew couldn't even tell that she was upset. And yet, Ryan could?

What did that say about her family and friends?

"I... My dad..."

She looked over at him, reading the expression on his face. How much he looked like he actually cared about what she had to say. She tucked her fingernails into her palms, trying to stop the tears from falling. 

But they did anyway.

And the story of what happened, fell just as smoothly as the traces on her cheeks.

She always felt weak when she cried. Which she did a lot. Her mother, her sister, everyone in her family but her... None of them cried hardly ever. But then again, what did any of them have in common with Rain?

"I don't know what to do. This is my dream, Ryan. This is what I've always wanted to do... It's what I was made to do, and he took it from me as easily as candy from a baby."


She took a deep breath, keeping her eyes on the floor. She was scared to look at him. Scared that what she'd see on his face would be akin to the disappointment that always seemed to be etched on everyone else's.


"Rain... I can help you."

His voice was quiet. Nothing like she was used to hearing from him. He was usually loud, musical, charming. But right now, he was quiet and thoughtful. It was so unusual it took a moment for her to understand what he was trying to say.


"Ryan... No. I'll find a way to handle it on my own. The auditions are a month before my birthday-"

He cut her off, and she finally looked up at him as he spoke, his face sure.

"Exactly. You get your inheritance a month after it's too late. I can see it in your eyes that this is extremely important to you. Let me pay for it. Let me help you."

Rain shook her head quickly, wiping the remaining tears off of her cheeks with the back of her hand.

"You can't do that. It's too expensive. It's all the way in London."

At that, Ryan let out a laugh.

"Nothing is too expensive for our family... Trust me."

Rain stared at him for a moment, studying his face. 

"Why would you do this for me? You barely know me."

Ryan shrugged a shoulder, smiling at her gently.

"I know you enough. I know it'll make you happy, and you deserve to be happy."

Rain's mouth fell open for a second, and she lost all meaning of what speaking meant.

"I... Thanks, Ryan. I don't hear that a lot."

He touched her knee for a second, his smile widening into a grin.

"No problem. I do have a couple of stipulations though.

One, I'm going with you. Non negotiable. 

Two, you can't tell your family until we're safely back in California. Especially your father. I like not being murdered, so that is also non negotiable.

Three, you can't skip practice again. For anything."

Rain took the first two conditions in stride, nodding along with his words. But when the third one was said, she looked at him in surprise.

"What... Why? I mean not that I want to, but... why?"

Ryan tilted his head, raising an eyebrow.

"Because it's what you were born to do, as you say. It means everything to you and no one should be able to stop you from doing it.

If you need someone to be there for you, and you're upset, stick it out and text me afterwards. Just don't skip it again. This is your dream, and who you are.

And contrary to what you told me earlier... No one can take that from you, unless you let them. And I'm not going to let you allow that to happen."

Rain felt the blush hit her cheeks and she nodded, a small smile finally falling into place.

"Okay. I promise."

Ryan grinned again, his musical laugh filling the small spaces between them.

"Alright then. Now that that's all been decided, let's play a video game.

How are you at Call of Duty?"

Rain looked at him like he was speaking a foreign language.

"I don't even know what that is..."

He placed a controller in her lap, turning on the TV. 

"Well. I'll suck just for you.

It would be cute watching you lose though."


Rain held the controller in her hands, watching Ryan's face as he set the game up, trying not to let his words into her head. Last time she did that, she couldn't stop dwelling on them for a week.

"You think I'm cute?"

Ryan shrugged a shoulder, finally meeting her gaze.

"Who doesn't?"


She wanted to tell him that he was wrong... That people didn't find her cute. That that was not an adjective that anyone would ever use to describe her... But instead, she leaned closer to him and pressed her lips to his cheek.

She pulled away, the blush on her face transcending all the way onto her chest.

"I... I'm sorry. I didn't mean to do that."

His face was covered in shock for a moment, but he recovered from it quickly, clearing his throat.

"Why not? Doesn't seem like something you should be sorry for. I'm not."

Silence settled into the room like a fog, filling up Rain's lungs, making her wish she hadn't just done what she did. Like somehow it was a mistake, or that she had crossed some imaginary line.

"Okay... so... video games."

Ryan directed his attention back to the TV, hitting some random sequence of buttons.

"Video games."
--------------

She said, I think I'll go to Boston
I think I'll start a new life
I think I'll start it over
Where no one knows my name

3 comments:

  1. i love rain so much, she's just...rain.
    i guess i can understand xavier (not completely) but it still isn't fair. she has a dream, so does storm, yes, they are four years apart (age doesn't mean shit), and i love the girl.

    emotions while reading this chapter: AHHHHHHHHHHHH RAIN NOOOOOOO SWEET CHILD
    other emotions: rain and ryan...:3

    Amazing chapter as always, and I can't wait for the next.

    ~ sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. <3 <3 <3 <3

    I love Ryan. I'm completely and entirely biased but I love him >_>

    And I get Xavier's reasoning. Rain is the youngest and he's scared that something terrible could happen to her. But I still think it's unfair.

    Thank you for the love as alwaysssss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The youngest girl. >_> Thaddeous is the youngest child XD

      Delete