She's singing, "baby, come home" in a melody of tears, while the rhythm of the rain keeps time

Sunday, October 25, 2015

1-31: Drive

Whatever tomorrow brings
I'll be there with open arms and open eyes


Whatever tomorrow brings

I'll be there, I'll be there 

-----------
"You're not succeeding in doing anything but stressing me out, Xavier."

Eden shifted in her chair, throwing another dirty look at her husband. Which was somehow what he was now. They'd decided to skip any chances of anything else possibly going wrong and get married at the court house a week before their second baby was due. 

Little did they know, two days later, she came anyway.

Rain Olivia Nile. Their Valentine's day baby. Of all things.

At least Eden had a new appreciation for the holiday that she basically saw as a complete joke.

"Alright, Eden. Breathe. I'm just trying to help you. You're acting like you're going to pull your hair out."

Xavier took a step back from Eden and the two little girls in her arms.

"I don't know why I would do that. Struggling with a whiny toddler and a newborn, that's a piece of cake after all."

The sarcasm leaked from her words, but she was too stubborn to let him help her when she knew damn well she could do it herself. She shifted Storm in her arms and finally conceded, sitting her promptly on her feet in front of her father.

"Daddy!"



Storm instantly quit crying, her fake whines fading into giggles as Xavier picked her up.


"Hey there, princess. Let's go watch cartoons and give mommy a break."

Eden scowled, finally getting a bottle out of the baby bag. Rain latched onto it quickly, her eyes drifting closed in seconds. 

This is ridiculous. I was not made for two children. How the hell did my mother have so many?

Rain and Storm couldn't be more different, however. Rain's disposition was basically exactly like her father. Even in her tiny size and age, she barely cried. And when she did, they were soft and quiet. It was like nothing upset her, even at a month old.

Maybe that would continue into her entire life. 

Eden wasn't sure if she should be happy or concerned. That's the kind of personality type that could get easily taken advantage of.


(yes I know she looks older than a month but hey you can only do so much in the sims >_>)

And then there was Storm. Three years old and sassier than her mother could have ever been prepared for. If there was one thing that Eden was sure of, it was that she was definitely done having kids. Two was more than enough.

One mini her, and one mini Xav. What more could she really ask for?

------------

"We need to get this surgery done sooner rather than later, Mrs. Nile.

I know that you're worried that something will happen, but the longer we wait, the more complications could arise."

Eden tore her eyes off the ceiling and ran a hand through her hair, sighing.

"I know, I know. She's just so little. Don't you think we could wait until she was older? She's only three, Doc."

The doctor looked half annoyed, half sympathetic, as he searched for words to give her. Before he could respond, however, Xavier cut him off. His words were harsh, but his face was reflecting something else. Something close to concern.

"Quite frankly, no. She's been sick multiple times already. You're afraid to close the ASD and have something go wrong in surgery, but not afraid that she could die from all of the complications that the defect itself is already causing her?

You need to think logically, Eden."



It wasn't like Xavier and Eden never fought. They did, and they did a lot. But it was never over something serious like this. She was surprised he had felt this way and not said something to her already. She turned her face toward him, eyebrow raised. 

"I'm sorry, but, isn't this something you should have told me a long time ago? We've known she was sick for almost a year and you sat by and let me have my way. If you felt differently, why didn't you just say something?"

Xavier's face was blank, but his eyes were disbelieving.

"Are you serious?"

The doctor cleared his throat, raising both hands up. Eden scoffed, slumping back into her chair.

"This is not the time for you two to disagree about this. I just need to know if you're ready for Storm to have her surgery... or not.

We can schedule something now, if you two are ready for it.

But, I have to say, it is definitely in your best interest to go forward with this as soon as possible."

Eden crossed her arms over her chest, glancing over at Rain sleeping peacefully in her car seat.

"Whatever he wants. I'm leaving."

She stood, grabbing the car seat and walking out.

She was almost to the front doors, to the exit, when she heard her name behind her. She turned around to face the voice, pulling Rain's car seat closer to her body.

"Kyle?"

He smiled at her once, surveying her stance, his eyes finally resting on the car seat in her hand.

"Hey. Yeah. I work here. I heard about your daughter and your sister. All those years ago... I'm sorry I wasn't a good friend... I'm sorry I split and wasn't around for you. You have my deepest condolences. Are you holding up alright?"

Eden raised an eyebrow, watching him closely as he walked closer to her.

"You... Okay. Thanks. I appreciate that."

They were never actually friends? She slept with him once. He was best friends with her little brother. She wouldn't quite call that a reason why he would ever need to personally be there for her. Even in the face of loss like that.


She shifted her weight as he got close to her, something crawling up her spine in alarm.

"No problem. You and I should hang out sometime. You used to be a lot of fun."

He smiled at her, but it wasn't a warm smile. In fact, something in it sent shivers through her. And not the good kind. 

She nodded in ascent though, wanting more than anything to just get away from him.

"Yeah... Maybe. I'll call you or something."

She had absolutely no plan to do anything of the sort. She just wanted to escape.



He seemed placated enough by her response though, because he put enough space between them for her to breathe again. She took in enough deep breaths to clear her head, turning for the door.

God, she hated it when people got too close.

"See you soon, Eden."

She glanced over her shoulder as she exited, nodding. The look on Kyle's face made her nauseous. He made her nauseous.

Not if I have anything to say about it. Creep.

------------

"We shouldn't be fighting over this."

Xavier was so calm and collected, Eden wanted to hit him in the face. Not that that's not how it always went down when they had any sort of disagreement. He kept his cool while she unfolded into hostility in front of him.

"Yeah? Because you not telling me that you think that I'm being an idiot about decisions with our child isn't a reason to fight?"

Xavier sighed, staring down into his coffee cup in front of him.

"It's not. I don't think that you're being an idiot. I think that you're just afraid. And that's okay, Eden. It's okay to be afraid. I just want you to see the logic instead of the emotion in this situation."

Eden neglected to respond to his statement, pushing her own cup back and forth between her hands.

"Did you schedule it?"

Her words were technically non-confrontational, but her tone said enough to Xavier, that he let out one more sigh. He got to his feet and walked over to Eden, bending down so his eyes were at her level. He reached out, tilting her chin up so that her emerald green gaze met his own.

"You have a month to prepare for this, Eden. It's going to be okay, and she is. You'll survive this. I know you, and I know even if you won't say it, you're terrified. But everything is going to be okay.

You're not going to lose her. You have a family now, and you have a life. None of that is going anywhere. 

I love you."

Eden took in a sharp breath right before his lips touched hers. 


And that feeling was still there, the one since the very first time he kissed her. That safety, the comfort that she'd only ever seemed to find in Xavier Nile. It was probably the reason that she ended up with him.

Not that she believed in fate, or 'meant to be'.


But if there was such a thing, she was pretty dead set that hers was Xav. That it probably always had been. 

It had taken her a long time to see it, but she had in the end.

And for that, she would always be thankful.

And she was never letting it go.

-------------
But lately, I'm beginning to find that when I drive myself
My light is found

2 comments:

  1. YAAAAAY AWESOME AF UPDATE (as usual).

    Pretty sure your sims have the best names in existence and can Kyle like slither the fuck back into the hole he came from. (feeling extremely protective over Eden and her family right now.)

    Loved the chapter and gen 2 is on the horizon, gets me excited :)

    PS: Rain and I actually have the same birthday <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. gahhhhh, thank you so much!!

    And I actually really love most of their names infinitely. The reason I even started Eden's mother's story all that time ago was because I was excited to name a hundred babies. XD That love of naming characters remains. I even recycled a few names (not even intentionally) in my legacy. >_>

    And it's okay, Kyle is a jerk. But he doesn't stick around. <_<

    And that's fantastic by the way. I thought it was perfect for Rain. Fitting.

    ReplyDelete