She's singing, "baby, come home" in a melody of tears, while the rhythm of the rain keeps time

Friday, May 15, 2015

1-19: Is There Somewhere

I’m trying not to let it show, that I don’t want to let this go.
Is there somewhere you can meet me?

----------------
"I'm sorry."

Xavier threw another look at her, trying the keys again. The engine wouldn't start no matter how many times he tried. He put his head on the steering wheel, groaning. Eden had wanted emotion from him, but she didn't mean to get it by wrecking his car.

"How the fuck did you even manage this?"

Cussing. Probably not a good sign. Not from Xavier.

"You weren't drinking were you?"

Eden looked away, out the window.

"Not this time."

Xavier brought his head up from the steering wheel, his face blank.

"You're joking right? Do you commonly drive drunk?"

Eden's cheeks grew hot and she tugged on the hem of her shirt, trying not to look at his eyes. Anywhere near his face. They had just gotten home from Bridgeport, from the ordeal with Lyric. They'd been back in Saint Claire for one week, and she'd already fucked up whatever this was.

"I didn't actually get your car out of the driveway."

He deadpanned, his voice level.

"I can see that, thanks."


He threw open the driver's side door, walking around to the front of his car. He wasn't even sure what the hell she had done to it, he didn't know much about cars, that was Zach's thing. All he knew is somehow she made it not be able to start, halfway down the driveway with no actual damage to the outside.

And she couldn't remember what happened. But at least she hadn't been drinking. 

She was almost always drinking lately.

"Get out of my car, Eden."

His said the words calmly, but his tone was louder than it usually was.

She opened the door, slowly, shutting it quietly behind her.

"I'm sorry, Xavier. I am."

He sighed, hitting the alarm button on his key chain. Even that didn't work.

"Just... Go inside."

Eden crossed her arms over her chest, narrowing her eyes.

"Fine."

She was halfway up the steps when he called out her name. By the time she turned around to face him, he was already next to her, his hands on her waistline, his face close to hers. She was completely caught off guard, and her heart skipped a beat.


"You broke my car."

She didn't exactly understand this response, but she tilted her head back to look at him, and then at his car.

"....Yes?"

He shook his head slowly, letting her go. She actually felt... almost disappointed... that he hadn't kissed her. She thought that he would. He hadn't even touched her since that night in Bridgeport though, so it wasn't too much of a surprise.

"If I can't fix this car, I'm taking yours. Just so you know."

Eden's mouth dropped open.

"You are fucking not."

He nodded once, dangling his keys in front of him.

"I am. We'll trade until you find a way to fix it."

She took the keys out of his hand and threw them behind him, on the asphalt, and turned back around to head for the door.

"Go to hell, Nile."

He didn't even bother going for the keys, just watched her walk up the steps.

"I'm trying to decide what it is about you that drives me crazy, and I think I'm starting to figure it out."

He called out the words as she reached the door to the building. She sent him a glare and flipped him off, opening the door.

"I drive you crazy, because I am crazy. Have a nice night, stalker."

-------------

"Eden. Wake up."

She sat up quickly, her chest heaving, her face wet. Had she actually been crying in her sleep? It had been weeks since she had done that... She looked around, her eyes trying to adjust to the darkness. Who the hell had just spoken?

"You were screaming."

She finally recognized the voice, dropping back into her bed. Xavier was standing on the stairs that led down into her room, and his face was barely discernible in the darkness. He and Atticus had moved in, and Kiara consequently moved out, when Atticus had gotten kicked out of his apartment 'for noise complaints'.

Eden didn't want anywhere near an elaboration. She was pissed enough that she was living with two boys and not her best friend. Especially since one of them made her frustrated in about seven hundred more ways than the other.

"You can go away now."

He didn't move at her words, still just looking over the side of the stairs at her.

"Like five minutes ago."

She turned over onto her stomach, pulling one of her pillows over her head. She heard his muffled footsteps, but they didn't go up the stairs like she had hoped. His weight pressed into the side of her bed, right next to her, and she moved the pillow aside, looking out of the corner at him.

"Why did you not go away?"

He took the pillow off of her head, tossing it behind her.

"I think I have a thing for wanting to kiss you when you cry."

She stared at him, dumbfounded.

"That's a really awkward thing to get turned on by...."

He laughed quietly, running his hand through his hair.

"I didn't say I wanted to sleep with you. Just that it makes me want to kiss you.

Which, I guess... Isn't any less awkward."

"Not really..."

Her tone was dry, and she felt naked without the pillow to cover up her head again.

"Well, I'm not crying, so your kissing fetish is gonna have to wait for the next damsel in distress, sorry."

She sat up, pulling her blankets over her legs, wondering why he still hadn't left yet.

"Nah, I don't think so."

He tugged the blanket out of her grip, placing his hand on her leg. He traced his fingers along the indentations that sleeping on the comforter had caused, stopping when he reached her hip. She didn't watch what his hand was doing, because she was too busy trying to read his face.


It was like it had become her favorite game.

'What is Xavier feeling?'

Thinking.

"Then kiss me."

Shut up, Eden.

He moved his eyes from her legs to her face, nodding slightly, just once. He pulled her closer to him, tracing his lips over hers. For less than three seconds. Enough to leave his taste on her lips, but not long enough to actually satiate her.

He released his grip on her legs, getting to his feet. He was almost to the top of the stairs when she finally spoke, her voice quiet, annoyed.

"I hate you." 

"No. You don't."

---------------


"We should probably talk about this."

Eden looked up from her homework, raising an eyebrow. Her stuff was spread across the living room floor, because she refused to do homework in her own room. Not because of any real reason. Just because she was stubborn. And enjoyed annoying the guys.

Xavier dropped onto the couch, looking over at her.

"What, exactly, are we talking about?"

She put the eraser part of her pencil in her mouth, trying to ignore the tension in the room that he caused just by walking in. 

"You know what I'm talking about.

Every time I'm around you, alone, we're touching. Or randomly kissing, or something."

Eden directed her eyes back to her math textbook, she reached out and took a drink of her soda, tracing her finger along the edge.

"I have no idea what you're talking about."

Xavier made a noise, and Eden looked back over at him, narrowing her eyes.

"I'm not going to ask you to date me. I know you don't do that."

Something dropped into the bottom of her stomach, but she didn't know what it was. She definitely didn't expect that to come out of his mouth. He was right for all intents and purposes, but she had never actually said that to him, had she?

Eden had never had a boyfriend in her life, she wouldn't even know what to do with one if she did. What did couples even do besides bang?


"Gotcha. Can I do my mentally stimulating homework now? I have to get my degree so I don't end up having to marry rich to stay rich."

Xavier's face grew irritated, but he stood up, walking over to her. He knelt down next to her, taking the pencil out of her hand. He tossed it onto her textbook and brushed her hair out of her eyes. She tried to ignore the tension, but it was worse when he was this close.

"I'm sorry."

She rolled her eyes, pulling a cigarette out of the pack next to her.

"Mmhmm. Bye."

She lit it and blew the smoke away from him as he straightened up, his face unreadable. At least mostly.

"Yeah. Bye."


-----------------

"Are you ever sober?"

Xavier watched Eden spin the empty vodka bottle in another circle, looking up at his face. She glanced in his direction, spinning it again. Twice more. She shrugged a shoulder, biting down on her lip. 

"You're not my boyfriend. Why does it matter to you?"

He shook his head, letting out a long breath. 

"You're stuck on that, again? Is that why I came in here and you were already halfway through that bottle?"

Eden didn't respond, spinning it again. Xavier stood still for a moment, and then walked over to her, kicking the bottle out of her reach. She got to her feet, clenching her hands into fists at her sides.

"Why the hell did you do that?"

Her voice was a high pitched demand, but he didn't recoil, just stood his ground in front of her, looking down at her face. He was calm, collected. Same as always.

And same as always, it drove Eden up the wall.

"I'm not here to play games with you, Eden. I said I wouldn't date you two months ago, and you said you didn't care. So why have you been acting like this ever since you found out? You said you don't want a boyfriend, and I reinforced your statement. You should be fine."

His voice was smooth, but Eden had been around him enough to know he was angry. The only way to detect it was a quick flash behind his eyes. You had to pay attention to know. The glimpses of emotion with Xavier were brief, they were hidden, unless you knew where to look. 

And by now, Eden did.

"Can you go be a brick wall somewhere else? I'm trying to drink."

She turned to go back to the mini fridge in her room, but Xavier grabbed her arm, turning her back to face him.

"I think you've had enough."

She relaxed into his grip, her eyes full of ice.

"Not. My. Boyfriend. Let me go."

He released her at once, dropping his hand to his side.

"You're right. Go ahead. Reiterate it to me. To yourself. It won't get any less true. And it won't ever change when you're like this."



Everyone has their coping mechanisms. Most people go to therapy when they have clear, concise symptoms of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Eden chose to drink hers away.

"Maybe I don't want it to ever change. Maybe I don't want you like that. Maybe I don't ever want anyone like that."

Xavier pulled his car keys out of his pocket, grabbing his jacket off of the chair in her room.

"You might not have had enough, but I have for the night. I'll talk to you later."

Eden hesitated, watching him walk to the door, watching it open.

"Xav."

He turned to face her, watched her face fall, the way her eyes pleaded. The same look she always gave him when he left. 

"Don't leave. Please?"

He paused, a heavy sigh on his breath. He shut the door and walked over to her, pulling her to his chest. He pressed a kiss to her forehead and she noticed she still hadn't let her hands go from the fists they had been in. He ran his fingers through her hair and she let out a noise somewhere between a whine and a groan.

"You're insane, Eden."

"I told you."
-------------------

-It's a boy!-

Eden slid her phone back in her pocket after typing out her congratulations to Lyric. She was 26 weeks pregnant, and he doctor had told her she would probably deliver early. She was high risk, and she was worried that something would be wrong with the baby. But so far, nothing seemed to be. 

Eden had promised to come home at the end of the summer semester, to be with Lyric for the fall. After that, she planned to come back to Saint Claire to finish her degree. Deferring for a semester couldn't be too bad right? Lyric needed her more than this place did. Not to mention, Kiara promised to come home from Hidden Springs for that time to help too.

She'd have her baby sister, a new nephew, and her best friend back. Just two and a half  months, and she'd be home.

What more could she ask for?

Well...

She shook her head. Nope. She refused to even dwell on it. All it would do is complicate things. It wasn't like her and Xavier had gotten anywhere. Sometimes they kissed, sometimes she let him hug her. But then there was the fighting, the drinking, the... complications. That's all it was.

"Hey. You in here?"

Xavier knocked on the wall before walking around the corner into the bar area. She tipped back a drink, looking over at him.


"How did you ever guess?"

Her tone was biting, cold.

He just sighed, watching her make another drink.

"I really have no idea how you've passed any of your classes the way that you drink."

I have no idea how you haven't murdered me in my sleep for the way I drink.

"Luck."

She swallowed, sitting the empty glass back down on the surface of the bar, looking up at him. She hadn't told him what she was going to do, wasn't even sure he was entitled to know. But it wasn't like it was right of her to just disappear. 

"I'm going back to Bridgeport in August. Lyric is due in September, but they think she might go a few weeks early. I want to be there for her."

Xavier studied her face, his own flashing a hint of disappointment.

"Oh. Alright. Looks like I am too then."

Eden shook her head.

"No you are not. You're going into medical school, you've busted your ass getting as far as you have towards that. You're staying right here."

"I'm going where you go, so."

Eden rolled her eyes.

"Actually. Guess what?"

She got to her feet, walking over to him. She popped the top button open on his shirt and pushed his hair into his face.

"I'm going to my room. And you? You are not! Look at that."

He scowled at her and readjusted his shirt, leaving his hair the way she had put it. She was almost to the stairs that led down into her room when she noticed the look on his face from the corner of her eye. She turned to look at him, tilting her head.

"Why are you smiling like that? What's wrong with you?"

He smirked, collecting his features before he responded.

"I think I figured it out."

She put her hands on her hips, confused.

"Figured what out?"

He nodded towards her room.


"Don't worry about it. I'll talk to you later. Goodnight, Eden."

He waved at her, walking over and taking the stairs up to his own room, leaving her the way he always did.

With too many questions, and absolutely no answers.

--------------
And I try to refrain but you’re stuck in my brain.
And all I do is cry and complain, because second’s not the same.


***

And I promised myself I wouldn't let you complete me

No comments:

Post a Comment