She's singing, "baby, come home" in a melody of tears, while the rhythm of the rain keeps time

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

1-4: Room to Breathe

I've been through and seen a lot
Left at the bottom and the top
We're on borrowed time, but time isn't enough
I'm just trying to be the best me I can be
When I fall down, it's just me and the ground



-------

Eden laid her head back against the concrete, staring at the bars surrounding her. She had been counting the seconds. Staring at the round clock nestled among the other things on the unoccupied desk in the room outside this cell.

"Eden."

Her father's voice was something she hadn't been expecting to hear just yet, but it relieved her at the same time.

"Daddy. Thank God. What's going on. Why am I here? What happened last night?"

Carter gave her a look. His features were a mixture of disappointment and what looked like could be anger. Understandable. But she didn't even know what she had done to get her here. She woke up in a cell.The only thing from last night she could remember was drinking with Kiara in the foyer of some randoms house.

"Well, that makes sense."

Eden looked at him, his words not making any more sense than her being here.

"What. What are you talking about? I mean, I guess I drank a lot last night, and I'm sorry, but I still-"

"They found rohypnol in your system, Eden. And your blood alcohol level was 0.29. Do you realize how serious that is?"

Her face went blank. She played his sentences through her head.

"Rohypnol. Isn't that-"

"GHB. Date rape drug. Eden..."

He reached out, placing a hand lightly on her shoulder.

"You're lucky all that happened was you wrecking those cars. You can't do this. You can't be this reckless. You can't take random drugs and-"

Eden pushed his hand off.

"I didn't take anything. And what cars?"

Her anger was building. Her voice rising with each word.

"I don't know what the hell you're talking about, Dad."


He sighed, rubbing his forehead.

"At this point, I don't even know if I can believe a word you say anymore. I thought I could trust you. But it's been a long time. 

You're lucky Max's father isn't pressing charges. However.."

He brought his eyes to hers, stuffing his hands in his pockets.

"There are consequences to what you did to Cassius'."

Eden's eyes widened.

"But I really don't know what the fuck I did. I have no idea what you're talking about."

She repeated, running her hands through her hair.

"Shouldn't the actual worry here be who the fuck would drug me? Why isn't that a concern? Why am I in this cell and not the creep who did this?"

Carter turned, opening the door to the cell.

"That's easy, Eden. I don't believe you. Why would I? What reason have you given me to trust you?

As messed up as you were last night, I have no reason to think you didn't take it yourself and that you don't remember doing it. Or that you're lying.

You've known these kids your entire life."

Eden shoved past him, taking the stairs towards the exit.



"That means nothing. I wouldn't take anything like that. Ever.

But that's fucking fine. Don't believe me. But don't be surprised when something really fucking bad happens and you look back on this.

Remember that you looked your fucking daughter in the eye and called her a liar."

She said the words to the walls. She didn't look back, wouldn't.

She was dumb. She was reckless and impulsive. But she would never fucking touch a drug like that. She wasn't that  stupid.

She found a seat on the concrete steps of the precinct and waited for her father. 

He was definitely wrong about one thing. She clearly had an enemy. She just had no idea who it could be.

------

"Why are you here?"

Eden groaned, straightening her shirt and turned around. It had to be the one voice in the world that annoyed her more than anything. Had to be the one that she would hoped would have given up by now.

"Really, stalker boy. You are everywhere."

The corner of Xavier's mouth lifted, but just barely. It disappeared so quickly, Eden barely caught it.

"I'm not, actually. My mom's a nurse.."

He looked her up and down, pushing his eyes to the side afterward. He looked like he wanted to say more, but instead he took the steps of the hospital down to the grass, towards whatever he had driven here.

"I'm doing community service."

Eden blurted, her cheeks slightly going red.

She watched him as he turned back to look at her, his eyes widening a little in surprise.

But only for a second. Always only for a second. 

This boy was the most collected person she had ever seen. At least it seemed.

"That sucks. I'm sorry."

Eden sighed, exasperated. 

"Right. Like you don't know why. Like you don't think I deserve it like everyone else in that fucking school."

Xavier shrugged.

"I hear rumors. Doesn't mean I believe everything I hear, Eden."


He smiled again, this time for long enough she actually knew it was a smile.

They looked at each other for a moment, and then he nodded, turning back to his car.

"Hey!"

Shut up, Eden.

"I'm actually done. Do you think you could like.."

Don't.
"Well my dad took my fucking car and.."

He raised an eyebrow.

"You want me to give you a ride? I thought I was your stalker?"

She nodded.

"You are. Which means you know where I live."

She took the steps down, stopping a few feet away. She hesitated, trying to decide why she was even doing this. Let alone why she was going to say what she said next.

"Please?"

He blinked. He looked taken aback by her nicety, the fact that she was being polite to anyone at all was probably a once in a lifetime moment. He just stared at her for a second, and then he walked around to the side of a shiny blue Porsche, opening the passenger side door for her.

Her eyes widened, taking in the car.

"Whoa."


He smiled, shutting the door after she climbed in.

"My dad's an architect. I got this when I was sixteen."

He shut the door and slid the key into the ignition, glancing over at her.

"Shows you how smart he is."

The bitterness in his voice was clear, and it made Eden wonder exactly what it was that had made him sound so hard towards his father. This kid had a perfect life. Why was he complaining?

You shouldn't be wondering anything at all about him. He shouldn't even be in your thoughts. You shouldn't be in his car. He's far too good for you.

She chanced a glimpse at his face. His eyes were the deepest blue she'd ever seen. They were.. Gorgeous. He was. For a creepy stalker boy. 

"My dad took my car."


She said it simply. Angrily. She was still bitter about the entire thing.

"I know."

She trailed her eyes out the window, smirking.

"Of course you do."

She heard his laugh, musical almost, but brief. Like every other emotion he had ever seemed to display.

"That's right. I stalk you. You didn't say it ten minutes ago or anything."

Eden felt the car come to a stop and she pushed the door open. She started to walk away, but turned back after a couple of steps. She bent her head down to the window.

"Hey. Thanks."

He looked over at her, grinning and shaking his head slightly.


"No problem. Take care of yourself, Eden."

She stepped back and he turned the car back towards the street.

And to Eden's surprise, she actually waved.

------

"No parties."

Sarah raised an eyebrow at her.

"Seriously?"

Eden flicked her cigarette off the balcony, turning to face her blonde friend.


"Seriously. I know no one believes me, but I didn't fucking drug myself and do any of that shit on purpose. I don't want to risk another party and have something actually happen. Lately all thats been going down is bad shit. My brother almost dies, and then someone drugs me. I've had enough parties for a goddamn lifetime."

Sarah crossed her arms, leaning back against the wall. Her eyes were far away.

"I get it. I guess I should tell the girls when they come by tonight that they need to watch their drinks at all times. I thought you all already knew that. Clearly not."

Eden glared at her.

"Are you fucking kidding, Sarah? I do. I always have. If my drink leaves my sight it's for a second when someone walks by. Don't you dare fucking put this on me."


She shrugged, her eyes still no where near Eden's.

"It's whatever. I just know that this has never happened before in this community. And then it happens to you  of all people."

"What is that supposed to mean?"

She snapped, clenching her hands into her fists.

"Oh come on, E. Everyone knows that they wouldn't have to drug you to sleep with you. You're the easiest one in that school."

Her tone was joking, but it was enough.

"Okay, Sarah. You can go."

Sarah looked startled.

"Eden, I was jo-"



"I really don't care. I've had enough of your shit for one night. Just fucking go home and keep pretending to be perfect. Pretend you're not the one sleeping with three of your teachers."

Sarah opened her mouth, but Eden grabbed her by the arm, pushing her towards the doors to her house.

"I don't want to fucking hear it. Go."



Sarah yanked her arm away, narrowing her eyes.

"Whatever. Good luck with everything Eden."

She shoved the door open, the air conditioning from inside seeping out into the night.

She turned around, jumping a little when she saw Atticus and Evein staring at her with wide eyes.

In the midst of that fight, she had almost forgotten they were out there too.


"I hope you know I believe you, E."

Atticus said, walking up to her. He put an arm around her shoulders and squeezed her lightly. He disconnected in a second, knowing Eden wasnt one for hugs.

"I do too."

Evein said, smiling brightly.

Eden sighed, finding the edge of the balcony and leaning against it.

The two of them came up to her, standing on either side.

"I guess I asked for this. I haven't given myself the best reputation."

Atticus shook his head, throwing a stray rock over the side and into their pool. Apparently he had killer aim.

"No one deserves those kinds of rumors; and dad should believe you. No matter who you've slept with. It's bullshit."

Eden rolled her eyes.

"I bet he'd believe it if it was anyone else. I just happen to be the bad kid."


She really hoped nothing did happen to any of the other girls. Kiara was going to this party tonight. Albeit, Atticus was going with her... But still. It was a scary idea. To think one among them wasn't who they should be.

"Goddammit."

Kiara's voice echoed out of Eden's bedroom through the cracked open window.

"That bitch told me I can't come tonight."

She tried the window, throwing an annoyed glance in Eden's direction.

"It's fucking stuck.

But anyway, Eden. What did you do? She said I was 'disinvited' because you're being a bitch."


She said the word 'disinvited' in a high nasally tone, mimicking Sarah's voice.

She shoved the window up, trying to unstick it, and the glass shattered, covering the balcony in tiny shards of sparkles.

Eden felt her heart race, her vision bouncing. She cringed back from the pieces of broken window.

"What did you just say?"

She whispered, her skin going slightly clammy, dropping down and backing up against the side of the house. She was trying to put as much distance between herself and the accident as possible, but it felt as if the walls were closing in on her.

"I said what did you do to her?"

That was the last thing she heard before her vision went black.

------

"Just leave me alone Cassius!"

Eden screamed, covering her ears with her hands.

"It's stupid and I don't want to play with you and Kyle anyway!"

Cassius shoved her backwards, hard. She fell on her butt, her cheeks burning crimson.

"Why are you always so mean to me? You're such a jerk."

She got to her feet, brushing dirt off of her jeans.


One day, I'll stand up to him. One day no one will mess with me because I'll be so mean no one can stand me. That's what I want. Everyone to just leave me alone. 



She heard her younger brother and his friend laughing outside when she got to her bedroom. Their voices carrying through the open glass of the window above her bed.

"Are you okay, Eden?"

Atticus asked, sticking his head in her doorway.

"I'm fine."

She said, even though she didn't really mean it. She always said it anyway.


He tilted his head, disbelieving, but nodded and went back to his room.

"Just do it. She won't tell on you anyway, and it will scare the crap out of her.

Come on, Cassius. Don't be a coward. Do it."

Kyle nodded at the window above Eden's bed.

"Just slam it. It will be funny and you know it."


Cassius' expression stretched into a smirk and he turned, facing it.

He grabbed the ledge and pulled as hard as he could, the pane coming down easier than his eight year old self anticipated. The moment the top connected with sill, the glass in the pane shattered. It rained down over him, but it also cascaded into Eden's window.


And something was very, very wrong. She was screaming louder than he had ever heard her.

The boys rushed inside, straight into Eden's room.

There was blood and glass all over the bed. Eden was clutching her face, moaning in pain.

"Eden! I'm so sorry. Are you okay?"

Cassius' voice was panicked and for the first time in a long time, he genuinely sounded concerned. He approached his sister, but Atticus grabbed the front of his shirt, shoving him back.

"What did you do to her, Cassius?!"

He pushed him again, finally turning back to Eden.



"Come on, let's go get dad. That doesn't look good."

He grabbed her by the hand and led her down the hallway to the kitchen.

Carter's eyes widened when he saw Eden's presence. She was covered in blood and there were still pieces of glass in her hair.

"What happened, baby?"


He pulled her hand away, a gash covering three to four inches of the side of her face.

"That's going to need stitches. Who did this, what happened?"

Carter repeated, looking back and forth at the two boys.


"Cassius did."

Eden cried, covering her face again as the cut started bleeding again.

Carter looked up at him, narrowing his eyes.

"Dad, I'm so sorry, it was an acci-"

"No it fucking wasn't!"


Everyone in the room turned to stare at Eden. She had never said a word like that in her life. She was barely ten.

"Don't lie to him! You torture me all the time, Cassius. But you know what?


I'm fucking done with you. I want nothing to do with you. I hate you."

Carter put an arm around Eden's shoulders, grabbing his car keys.

"You and I will talk when I get home."

He said to Cassius, his voice full of anger.


As Eden was walking out of the door, she looked back at Cassius, her eyes full of ice.

"I mean it. Done."

----

"Whoa. Eden, you okay? You're crying."

Eden reached up, feeling the wetness on her cheek with her fingertips. She brushed both sides of her face with the back of her hand, the scar residing there burning slightly. Not from actual pain, just from memory.





"I'm fine. I just."

She got to her feet, denying Kiara's offered hand.


"I'm fine."

She glanced over to the window, noticing all the glass was gone.


"I cleaned it up. I'm sorry. Don't worry, I'll pay for it.. Your parents will never even know."

She nodded at Kiara, walking to the doors to the second level.


"It's fine. I need to.. Sleep. I'll call you guys later."

She slipped into her bedroom, pulling out her phone as soon as her back hit the sheets.

Hey Nico, it's Eden. You should come over.

No comments:

Post a Comment